Jordan assists clients in all aspects of estate and tax planning, by developing estate plans that minimize estate tax liability and drafting trusts, wills and business succession documents to implement such plans. He also represents individuals and corporate fiduciaries in trust administration, probate, and guardianship and conservatorship matters.
Families from around the world seek Jordan's help to take advantage of South Dakota's favorable trust laws. He drafts South Dakota-sitused trusts, including asset protection trusts, intentionally defective grantor trusts, beneficiary defective trusts, purpose trusts and various other types of domestic and foreign trusts. He also helps clients move existing trusts to South Dakota, and amend, reform and decant those trusts.
Jordan assists clients in the formation, management and ownership succession of business entities, and counsels clients regarding the administration and regarding the tax aspects of such entities. He also regularly helps nonprofit organizations become legally organized and obtain tax-exempt status with the IRS.
- The Best Lawyers in America "Ones to Watch" – Trusts and Estates (Sioux Falls), 2021.
- Named an Associate to Watch by Chambers High Net Worth Guide, 2018 and 2019.
- ACTEC, Dennis I. Belcher Young Leaders Program, 2019-2021.
- American Bar Association, Real Property, Trusts and Estates, Fellow, 2017-2019.
- State Bar of South Dakota, Young Lawyer of the Year, 2018.
- Super Lawyers, Great Plains Rising Star, 2014-2020.
- "Introducing the Series LLC," State Bar of South Dakota CLE, December 9, 2020.
- "Trusts Used for Tax Reduction" and "Grantor Trusts," National Business Institute's Trusts 101 Seminar, Sioux Falls, SD, November 18, 2019.
- "Where Are We Now? The Current State of DINGs, NINGs, SDINGs and other thINGs," ABA Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law CLE, August 7, 2018.
- "Trusts & Estates 101: Identifying Appropriate Documents for Your Client’s Needs," Young Lawyers Bootcamp, State Bar of South Dakota CLE, March 2, 2018.
- "Tax Implications of South Dakota Special Spousal Trusts," Tax Update 2017, State Bar of South Dakota CLE, December 8, 2017.
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY:
- Salvation Army, Advisory Board Member
- Bethesda Christian Counseling, Board Member